Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wordly wisdom vs. Worldy Wisdom

There are two types of wisdom. One from above and one from below. What type of wisdom are you being led by?
Firstly, I thought about the words "wordly" and "worldly" (I'll admit that I might have made up  the word "wordly" lol), and  they looked so similar at the first glance to an untrained eye. "Wordly" is derived from the Word (a.k.a. Jesus- John 1:1). Worldly is derived from the word, "world." Okay, so I hope I didn't confuse everyone here. 

Anyways, I wanted to challenge everyone to think about the wisdom they are applying to their lives. Is it sound doctorine from the word or from the world? To share a brief story that happened to me a few weeks ago, got me thinking about the types of wisdom and James 3 nailed it down for me. 

So, I was hanging out with a couple of my friends, and we were discussing relationships. My friend, knowing that I am single suggested that I try internet dating to find a guy. Now, I don't believe in internet dating because of  Proverbs 18:22 " He who finds a wife finds a good thing..." But internet dating and all of that is another blog post. What God prophised to me a few months ago was that I am not supposed to look for my man and that he would look for me. Through our hang out session with my Christian friends, I was told to essential get out of order of what God had spoken to me through his word (the Bible) and through a rhema word. 

Seriously, though, what they were saying seemed to make sense and sounded really good. Now, I am not here to try to through shade on them or anything, I am just using this story as an example. No names used here. Like I mentioned earlier, "earthly wisdom" may appear to be similar to "godly wisdom" to the untrained eye. In order for you to understand the difference between these two types of wisdom, you can check it up by the word. 

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.  But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.  But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness. James 3:13-18.

One could look at the story of Sarai and Abram. She used her own "wisdom" and tried to take God's word into her own hands. I mean it made sense in the natural. "Why not get my fresh, young slave to birth a kid for my husband when I'm all old?" Yet, it ended up as a big mess because she tried to allow Hagar to try to fulfill the promise God had given only to Sarai and Abram. (Genesis 16). 

So is your wisdom based from envy or self ambition? Or are you using wisdom coming from heaven that is pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere?

How can you know the difference between worldly and wordly wisdom?
The more you grow in Christ, the more you will get to know him and understand his perfect will for your life. Rely on the Holy Spirit; ask him for help. Ask God to give you that godly wisdom and not the wisdom of this world. 
 http://theresurgence.com/2013/06/25/the-work-of-the-holy-spirit-in-the-life-of-a-believer 

Peace & Love.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. This can be hard when we want to get a quick answer or when ppl tell us what we want to hear. Good advice@the end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks sister in Christ. Appreciate your comment.

    ReplyDelete

The Holiday Blues