Saturday, August 30, 2014

Cain and Abel

Cain and Abel. Everyone's favorite brothers. Totally kidding here. This story really struck me a few weeks ago, for I was being like Cain. Now, I wasn't planning to kill anyone or something, but hey, sin is always crouching at our doors and it desires to have us, but we must rule over it (Genesis 4:7). 

Cain worked the soil and Abel kept the flocks. When their burnt offering times came, I picture Abel picking out his best animal to sacrifice to God and then I see Cain pulling up with some bruised, dusty fruit. I shouldn't be laughing at this, but think about how God might have turned up his nose at Cain. I imagine God saying something similar to this, "Like for real?  You know, I don't  want  left-over fruit, give me some meat! Some veal or something." Smh. But of course he  said  it in a better way, just modernizing it here.
Add caption

Umm...I'll take the steak. Please and thank you.



Cain needed to give what was pleasing to the Lord. His fruit offering was not enough because it did not require him to get out of his comfort zone. He gave the Lord what he knew. God requires us to give 100%. Often times this means giving him what we thought we didn't have in us. He aims for us to rely on him so that we can give him beyond our limits. Give it all to him or nothing. Sounds ouch, but...I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. 'So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. Revelation 3:15-16. 

We can lift our hands during service and sing and just go through the motions. (Just using an example here).  But what if God is calling us to do is to get out of our comfort zones? What if he told you to do more than lifting your hands? What if he wanted your worship to your lifestyle and not just something you do on Sundays? What if he wanted you to do something out of the norm? But that's not comfortable. Neither was Jesus dying on the cross. We have to do things beyond our limits. 

When Cain knew he wasn't doing enough, he got angry. (Genesis 4:5). He got mad at Abel's anointing that he did not work for. He didn't die to his flesh. That little seed of anger grew until he killed his brother. 

Genesis 4:8


Now, my own story in how I was being like Cain. It happened in church. Someone told me watch someone so that I could learn from them. Honestly, I got angry, similar to Cain, and I could feel my jealously brewing. Now, that person I was mad at had done me no wrong, yet I got angry at them and even God. What I needed to do was get mad enough at myself to push forth a change. 

I had to ask God to take those wrong feelings of pride, jealousy, and bitterness. I asked God to show me how to please him more. Yeah, this was uncomfortable for me, but I had to make sure I was right with God. When someone gives you a model of a correct behavior, such as Cain could have used Abel, do not be mad at that person or God. Instead ask God what do they do for their anointing, and what you should do so that you can grow. Be humble and real before God. Remember this Christian walk is not meant to be comfortable.  

Chin hugs!

Courtney
 


2 comments:

  1. Amen, good points. Lol@the fruit pic though. Yeah sometimes I feel myself going through the motions like blah..but there is more that God requires of me...from all of us. Humility is def key though. Asking for help, forgiveness or whatever, and God is faithful and just to forgive and even help us get it together.

    ReplyDelete

The Holiday Blues