Saturday, April 25, 2015

Content in Singleness (part 2)

Okay, so, my rambling in my previous blog serves as a precursor to what I want to discuss in this blog here. I was the girl who thought more about getting married than serving Christ (and this was me like last year), and now, God has changed my heart. I am so content in Christ. When I heard people talk about God being enough, I was like yeah right. But, now, I totally get it. Jesus gave me a visual for it, and I hope to clearly write it out for you :)

Okay, so picture your favorite buffet. I'll choose Golden Corral. Now, this metaphor compares God to the main course and a husband to the dessert. When you eat a huge meal, you are so full and not thinking of consuming another bite.  When you are truly full on God, he will be enough. You're so set on your life in Christ that it's hard to think of consuming another "bite." However, if you're like me, just because you're stuffed doesn't mean you won't think of dessert. Yes, you'll think about it (dessert/men), but you have to make sure you're ready to consume more, otherwise you'll throw up everything and make a huge mess. If you are not ready for your dessert, and you eat more anyways you'll end up worse than if you would have just waited patiently for your time to come. If we're not ready for a relationship and get up for our "dessert" anyways, then a huge mess will ensue.

 
Now, a man is like a dessert, but it's not something to substitute  for the real meal. Jesus is the real deal, the main course, the meat. Jesus is all you need, just how you need your substantive meals every day. A dessert (man) is nice, but it's not everything and something you necessarily need.

There is a reason we should eat our meat before our cookies. Our meals provide our nutrition to get through our days, and dessert provides a boost. We need to feed on Christ first. When he says it's time, then he'll send you may send you  a little dessert. :) So don't get discouraged when you see all your friends with brownies or cheesecake, focus on that steak in front of you now. Enjoy your singlehood, because hopefully it won't last forever!

Don't get me wrong here, there is nothing wrong with being in a relationship. 1 Corinthians 7 gives an awesome view of both the married and single Christian. But, people, when you're single you are free to do more for Christ. 1 Corn 7:34 says, "An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit." So while you're waiting on your (dessert) spouse to arrive, act like a waitress and serve. Be about the Lord's business and enjoy this season for there is a time for everything. (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

Andddd, remember, just because you're single doesn't mean you're being punished or that there is something wrong with you. I remember doing small things in church like setting up the microphones, and this guy would always tell me, "You're next for a relationship!" And well, I wasn't, I wasn't even 5th. But God knows the heart, and when you work, do it for the Lord not for a particular blessing.

is to serve Christ.










Love you all.

3 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree about doing work because it's what you need to be doing not because your looking for a particular blessing. And it's true a man/husband should be something we look forward to as a bonus/dessert not what we look to in order to sustain us, I also think that most people/women put relationships on a pedestal and make assumption about people in relationships that they see, we all have our struggles just b.c someone is in a relationship didn't mean that their happy or even comfortable, when you enter into a relationship w/a man it should be to join in a convent with him(marriage minded) it should also be with the intent to edify the kingdom w/your ministry b.c that's what marriage is its ministry it's hard gritty dirty work, single people have it easier b.c the only thing were often concerned with is ourself, good blog post!!

    ReplyDelete

The Holiday Blues