Saturday, June 21, 2014

Jesus, take the wheel.

I recently had the opportunity to take a mini road trip with my friend, Lynette. We just drove a hour up the road to go shopping for our mutual friend’s bridal shower gift.  Let me tell you honestly, I was terrified. My heart beat kept racing, even though I tried to present a cool persona. What scared me the most was Lynn’s confidence. Yeah, I know it sounds terrible, but let me explain.

This was her first time ever driving on the interstate, and she appeared to have this belief that she could handle it all. She thought  merging, switch lanes, and driving at such a high speed was no biggie. Truthfully, she reminded me of myself. When I first started driving at sixteen, I was an overly confident teen who thought she knew it all. Through my past five years of driving (and through other things in my life), I have learned that in order to learn more and to improve, sometimes you just have to listen to instruction. 

Just recently I took a road trip with my sister, grandma, nephew, and momma Gwenie. Throughout this trip,  I kept getting yelled at about my driving. My granny would tell me to slow down around the curves and to watch out for cops and stuff. There was nothing wrong with what she was telling me, but my pride took over. I was like, “I got this! I've been driving for five years!” Nevertheless, through some personal reflection I realized she was exactly right,  and I often may respond to God’s instruction the same way. 

Proverbs 17:7 states, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Wow. So, we’re being foolish when we do not heed Jesus’ instruction? Yep. Think about that for a minute. How many times have you ignored what God told you to do? How many times have you broken a Ten Commandment? How many times have you sinned against God by not obeying his laws specifically stated in the Bible? If I had to guess for myself, the number would be close to a million. 

I am learning the importance of listening to God’s voice and trusting that he knows what’s best. I mean, come on, he’s God! This learning process is arriving through humbling myself and asking God to give me wisdom ( James 1: 5 ). So, follow the steps of Proverbs 17:7 if you do not want to be counted as a fool. Respect the Lord and do not hate getting some more wisdom and instruction. Just trust that God knows what he’s doing with your life and let him take the wheel. 

-Peace and love.

I was so excited to get off the interstate. 
My face while driving in Lynn's car.


2 comments:

  1. Lol luv it!
    "I am learning the importance of listening to God’s voice and trusting that he knows what’s best. I mean, come on, he’s God!" That part really hit home with me. Yes He is God, all powerful, all knowing, every where, sovereign!

    ReplyDelete

The Holiday Blues