Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Philippians 4:8 Test



Many years ago, in my teen study Bible, I ran across this devotional that referenced a  "Philippians 4:8 Test" and forever my walk with God was challenged. 

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things Philippians 4:8
Philippians 4:8 Archives - Joe Iovino

Basically, the test involves putting every questionable show, song lyric, movie, or whatever to the characteristics present in the verse.

For instances, Is this show true? Is it honest? Is it just? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it of good report? Is it something God would want me to think on?

If the answer to any of the above questions is no, then it’s a no go.

It’s a practice I still use today, and it really helps to me to guard my spirit against unrighteous things.

Trust me, I know it is not easy at all. I used to listen and watch any and everything my heart desired. Going to rated R movies as a young child was just something I did. As I grew up, it became easy to continue do what I had always done.

This was not an overnight process.

 There were times that I judged Lil Wayne songs as “okay” because I really wanted to listen to it. I know this may sound like too much for some, and trust me, I’ve been there. But as we truly pray and seek God, his desires become our desires. I’m still a work in progress. 

As you truly surrender to God, he will speak to you and help you to choose things that are holy and just.

Love,

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holiday Blues